He's here!!!

Wow what a crazy few months! I gave birth Monday 16th July 2018, it's now Sunday 3rd March 2019. Time flies when you have a baby! We've moved, bought a house and everything in just under 8months! More about that in my later blog...

~ Going back now to 15th July 2018 ~

I have been on 75mg of Aspirin since week 12 of my pregnancy to bring my blood pressure down. From week 37 my blood pressure spiked and I was put on labetalol to bring my blood pressure down even further. I ended up going on Maternity leave early from work as I was knocked out every time I took a pill! So already my birth wasn't going to plan! So with my pelvic girdle pain and high blood pressure I was admitted to hospital for weekly checks.

I went to hospital on Friday and they found my blood pressure to be slightly higher and they found protein in my urine. My bloods were checked but they didn't find any issues. I was sent home and asked to come back in Monday and they would talk about inducing me the following Friday (on my due date) to ensure my blood pressure was controlled

4am Sunday morning my first contraction hit. I sat up in bed, thinking my lower back was on fire then I had bad period cramps. I sat in the dark while Josh slept next to me thinking am I in Labour?
I got my phone and Googled the symptoms and confirmed I was in labor. I tried to sleep but couldn't, so I walked around the flat until 6am and my contractions were coming every 20-30mins. I finally went in and woke Josh up and said I am in labor! He started timing my contractions and I called Triage. (In my notes I was told to call as soon as I had contractions or my waters broke due to the high blood pressure)

When I got through to the lady she asked me some questions and then said I need to call back when my contractions are less than 5mins apart. I felt really disheartened as I thought they would bring me in. So I spent the whole day riding the waves of the contractions. I called my mum at 10am and said I was in labor. She was so happy and suprised! She said to call her as soon as we needed a lift to the hospital.

All of my family have given birth way after their due dates, I thought I'd give birth later rather than early!!

Me and Josh decided to go to bed early as we needed to wait for the contractions to get stronger. Around midnight they were coming thick and fast, I paced up and down and timing them, they were now coming less than 3mins apart.
I called Triage again and they asked me to come in! I called my mum and they got to mine in less than 20mins.

I felt very lethargic in the car, every contraction was really taking it out of me. I didn't realize at the time this wasn't normal, this was due to the high blood pressure.

We arrived at the hospital at 1am. I didn't feel right, I felt very lethargic and every birth story and birth video I had seen showed the women awake and in pain. I had pain with the contractions but then felt so out of it when they stopped.
The midwife checked my cervix and I was only 2cm dialated. You need to be 4cm to be in established labor.
They took my blood pressure and it was 178/104. They asked for a urine sample, but for the first time I actually couldn't go! (Being pregnant you can almost wee on demand 😂)
I had been drinking water all day but didn't think anything of it. I drank a few cups of water when I arrived at the hospital. Josh handed me the coke can and I drunk at least half and he finished the rest. About 10mins later, I threw it all up into a little cardboard bowl, I was now feeling super weird.
We were given the option, to either go home and come back when the contractions got worse, or walk around the hospital.

We decided to stay and I'm glad we did! Me and Josh walked around the hospital and the contractions felt so painful. Like my whole body was crumpling under intense pressure. Like nothing i've ever felt before, it's the worst pain. I wanted pain relief but wasn't allowed any until over 4cm!

After an hour we walked back into the ward, I finally went to toilet and gave them a sample. But when I looked down it was bright orange and had large bits in, but I was only able to provide a very tiny sample.

I lay in the hospital bed shuddering with every contraction hoping I would get some pain relief soon! Then a doctor walked in with a midwife behind, something wasn't right.
He said "we need to take some blood from you, as we are worried about your urine sample"

So having my blood taken whilst having contractions was super fun. The midwife was very nice and quickly took the sample in the rest period. There wasn't anyone else in the waiting area with us, it was an unusually quiet night they said.

The bloods came back and the doctor reappeared saying he wants to get the labor moving a bit quicker now as they are worried about my high blood pressure turning into preeclampsia. I really thought I was going to be told I needed an emergency C-section. But the doctor was very laid back, which put me at ease, he said "we would try to do it all naturally first."

I was finally moved into my own room, with no birthing pool ☹️ the doctor said my baby's birth needs to be monitored so I can't have a water birth. At this point I didn't care, I just wanted to make sure my baby was okay. I was given gas and air! Yay some pain relief!! A midwife came and broke my waters, she said "this should speed things up, if not they would administer a drip". Luckily within 5mins I felt the urge to push. Josh ran and got the midwife. My stomach had monitor pads and bands on linked to a heart monitor. I shut my eyes so tight and pushed when I needed to and rested when asked to by the midwives. Josh said it all happened within 30mins and he was born! 6.41am, weighing in at 6lb 4oz.

They put him straight on my tummy, the placenta came out with him so all the contractions stopped. My whole body shuddered and then silence, the weirdest feeling! I had a junior midwife stitch me up, which was not fun at all. Lots of stabbing with the local anaesthetic but didn't really do much, could feel every needle and thread being stabbed.
Due to my high blood pressure, we had to be monitored over night to check our sugar levels and my blood pressure. It was so hot in the hospital, I hadn't noticed at night as it was cool. But during the day! Very very hot, I bought my own fan luckily otherwise I may have melted.
But finally just over 29
hours later we were let out of hospital! The car journey was so scary, with the little bundle of 6lb 4oz he felt so tiny in the big car chair!



#baby #birthstory #mybirth #naturalbirth #newmum #brightonhospital 


Comments